The Communicable Disease Center was established as a branch of the U.S. Public Health Service on July 1, 1946 in DeKalb County, Georgia. It took over the offices of the wartime U.S. agency called Malaria Control in War Areas (MCWA). The Rockefeller Foundation worked in close collaboration with MCWA, similar to how the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is today with the CDC, National Institutes of Health and Dr. Anthony Fauci. The CDC is a quasi-government agency at best. It presents itself as a government agency because it receives billions in tax dollars every year. But it also receives funding from private corporations and organizations with vested interests. There are no specific restrictions, other than an ethics code, enumerated in the law related to CDC Foundation endowments. For those unfamiliar, unrestricted endowments mean that the funds are “meant to be used for operations or programs that are consistent with the wishes of the donor(s).”
The Communicable Disease Center changed its name to the National Communicable Disease Center in 1967. It was renamed Center for Disease Control in 1970. The “s” was added to make it Centers for Disease Control in 1980. Congress changed the name to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 1992. But the agency kept the acronym CDC.
U.S. Public Health Services has existed in some form since 1798. It is most infamous for funding the Tuskegee Experiments that deliberately left black Americans with syphilis untreated from 1932 to 1972. Dr. John Cutler, a U.S. Public Health Services scientist who was involved with the Tuskegee Experiments, was also responsible for deliberately infecting 696 Guatemalans with syphilis to observe them.
Today, U.S. Public Health Services is divided into 11 divisions of the Department of Health and Human Services. Two of those divisions are the CDC and the National Institutes of Health. The CDC was headquartered in unincorporated DeKalb County/Druid Hills, Georgia, before Atlanta annexed it into the city in 2018.